To Blog or not to Blog

I don't know how to blog and I feel embarrassed to be a blogger. I hate to sound like Andy Rooney but "blogging" seems obscene to me. Really, in our entire language we couldn't come up with a better term for keeping a personal web log than a blog? How about a webichle (web + chronicle)? or a wost (web + post)? OK, these aren't that great either but it seems like there must be something better out there than "BLOGGING". Even still, I have decided its time, as the scriptures say, "to keep a record of this people" and so I will blog! Despite the ickiness of the term, I hope you enjoy it!

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Happy Birthday to my Dad!

Today my dad is 80!  I remember when I thought 80 was OLD!  But my dad doesn’t match my idea of 80.  He hasn’t changed his habits much at all since I was a little kid.  I mean, he doesn’t go to work everyday, he is more careful about what he eats, and his full head of dark brown hair has changed to a full head of cottony white hair, but, by in large, he’s just the same.

On any given day, I can stop by my folk’s house and find my dad, up a ladder in a tree, on his stomach arm fully extended in the pool to clear out old leaves, in the attic wrestling with boxes, or walking at a good clip to/from the mailbox.  He even got a bike this year and began a daily riding regimen which he might still be following if not for a blast of inopportune sun that caused a minor accident.  All in all, my dad doesn’t act like the 80-year-olds I picture in my head.

DSC05922I am thankful that my dad is still chugging along.  He still helps me with household tasks, opens jars for my mom, and enjoys a good meal from In and Out Burger.  He is a great man who provided everything his family needed; food, shelter, clothing, education (and not just schooling; you should hear my dad’s vocabulary), family vacations, backyard bar-b-ques, holiday memories, motor pool for the vehicles, love of country, priesthood leadership, good character, and love.  I am thankful my son now has the opportunity to learn many of the same things I did from the same man.

I love you dad – Happy Birthday!   

No comments:

Post a Comment